Learning With: ‘Fire Mauls Beloved Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris’
Before studying the article:
The Cathedral of Notre-Dame, one of the crucial iconic symbols of magnificence and historical past in Paris, was engulfed in flames on Monday, resulting in the collapse of a part of its spire.
What are you aware about this French landmark? Have you ever visited? Have you seen it referenced in novels, movies or historical past books? What is your response to the information?
Watch the one-minute video of the hearth above. Then, scroll by way of photographs of the cathedral earlier than and after the hearth within the articles: “Pictures of Notre-Dame Before the Fire: A Cathedral That Defined a City” and “Notre-Dame Fire Photos: Despair and Grief Amid Smoke and Flame.”
Next, reply to the next questions:
• What cultural and historic significance does the Notre-Dame have in Paris?
• How have individuals reacted to the hearth that partly destroyed it?
• Why do you suppose individuals have reacted on this method?
Now, learn the article, “Fire Mauls Beloved Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris,” and reply the next questions:
1. What harm did the hearth do to the Notre-Dame cathedral?
2. The fireplace broke out the identical day President Emmanuel Macron was anticipated to ship an essential coverage speech in regards to the latest “Yellow Vests” demonstrations. The reporters recommend this coincidence is important. How so?
three. Why is Notre-Dame often known as a landmark not just for Paris, but additionally for the whole world?
four. How did onlookers react to the hearth? In your individual phrases, summarize the emotions many appeared to share, and provides an instance of 1 from the article.
5. Though the hearth has been extinguished, what risks nonetheless stay and why?
6. According to Glenn Corbett, an affiliate professor of fireside science at John Jay College in New York, why would possibly the cathedral’s present renovation undertaking have put the construction at fireplace threat?
7. The authors write that “the hearth is more likely to be simply the most recent, if most dramatic, insult to a landmark that has endured a long time of neglect and harm.” What do they imply by that?
Finally, inform us extra about what you suppose:
In a information evaluation piece, “A France in Turmoil Weeps for a Symbol of Paris’s Enduring Identity,” Michael Kimmelman writes in regards to the tragedy:
This fireplace is just not like different latest calamities.
When flames killed dozens trapped in Grenfell Tower in London, it uncovered a scandalous lack of oversight and a metropolis of disastrous inequities. When a bridge collapsed in Genoa, Italy, additionally taking life, it revealed the consequential greed of privatization and a power absence of Italian management. When the National Museum of Brazil burned down, additionally by way of unconscionable authorities neglect, it wiped a tangible swath of South American historical past from the face of the earth, incinerating anthropological information of misplaced civilizations.
Notre-Dame, the place nobody died, represents a distinct type of disaster, no much less traumatic however extra to do with magnificence and spirit and symbolism.
Visited by some 13 million individuals a 12 months, the cathedral, established through the 12th century, is the most important architectural attraction in Paris. It is an emblem of the previous metropolis — the embodiment of the Paris of stone and religion — simply because the Eiffel Tower exemplifies the Paris of modernity, joie de vivre and alter.
Is there a landmark in your city, area or nation that holds symbolic weight?
If so, what’s it and what makes it so particular? What historic and cultural significance does it have? What does it characterize for you and your group? How do you suppose individuals would react if it had been destroyed?