What’s Going On in This Graph? | March 20, 2019
1. This graph, which initially appeared in The New York Times, reveals greater than 500 jobs, their required abilities and the way possible they’re to be automatable. You can enter a job within the “Find a job …” area to seek out the place it’s on the graph. You also can hover the cursor over a job title to seek out extra data. On March 21, we’ll present further background in regards to the graph in addition to related statistical ideas.
After trying carefully on the graph above, take into consideration these three questions:
• What do you discover?
• What do you surprise?
What are you interested by that comes from what you discover within the graph?
• What may be occurring on this graph?
Write a catchy headline that captures the graph’s predominant concept. If your headline makes a declare, inform us what you observed that helps your declare.
The questions are supposed to construct on each other, so attempt to reply them so as. Start with “I discover,” then “I ponder,” and finish with “The story this graph is telling is ….” and a catchy headline.
2. Next, be part of the dialog by clicking on the remark button and posting within the field that opens on the proper. (Students 13 and older are invited to remark, though academics of youthful college students are welcome to publish what their college students must say or they will have their college students use this similar exercise on Desmos.)
three. After you will have posted, learn what others have mentioned, then reply to another person by posting a remark. Use the “Reply” button or the @ image to handle that pupil instantly.
On Wednesday, March 20, our collaborator, the American Statistical Association, will facilitate this dialogue from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Eastern Time to assist college students’ understanding go deeper. You would possibly use their responses as fashions to your personal.
four. On the afternoon of Thursday, March 21, we’ll reveal extra details about the graph on the backside of this publish. Students, we encourage you to publish an extra remark after studying the reveal. How does the unique New York Times article and the moderators’ feedback show you how to see the graph in another way? Try to include the statistical phrases outlined within the Stat Nuggets in your response.
• Read our introductory publish, which incorporates details about utilizing the “Notice and Wonder” educating technique.
• Learn about how and why different academics are utilizing this characteristic, and use the 2018-19 “What’s Going On in This Graph?” calendar to plan forward for the 25 Wednesday releases.
• Go to the A.S.A. Ok-12 web site, which incorporates This is Statistics, assets, skilled improvement, pupil competitions, curriculum, programs and careers.