Learning With: ‘CES 2019: It’s the Year of Virtual Assistants and 5G’
Before studying the article:
Scroll by way of the photographs and movies within the article.
What caught your eye? What developments do you see?
If you needed to write a headline, tweet or meme for the 2019 CES convention primarily based on these pictures and movies, what would it not be?
Now, learn the article, “CES 2019: It’s the Year of Virtual Assistants and 5G,” and reply the next questions:
1. The article begins: “The present should go on. That sentiment couldn’t have been stronger this week at CES, the most important shopper electronics conference within the nation. The convention, which introduced greater than 180,000 folks to Las Vegas, was a reminder of what the tech business is greatest at: being optimistic about itself.” Why is the tech business optimistic? What are causes nonoptimists is perhaps nervous about bringing out new merchandise now?
2. What is the aim of the CES convention? How many firms exhibited merchandise and what number of attended it?
three. What have been the most well liked developments on the 2019 convention? Which do you suppose would be the largest hit with customers?
four. What is 5G? How will it have an effect on the digital panorama?
5. According to the creator, Brian X. Chen, “The most stunning information got here when a number of tech firms introduced they have been working with Apple.” What is critical about Apple collaborating with different firms? How does this differ from Apple’s traditional practices? How would possibly these collaborations counterbalance the information from final week that the corporate decreased its income expectations for the primary time in 16 years?
6. Mr. Chen writes, “Front and heart at CES was the battle between digital assistants.” Who is on either side of the battle? Who do you suppose will win?
7. Why is it essential that artificially clever digital assistants are appropriate with different merchandise? Give some examples to assist your rationalization.
eight. The article concludes:
If the economic system does cool off, gross sales of cutting-edge devices will drop. Fast. But that didn’t faze folks right here. None of the CES attendees I spoke to expressed concern.
Matt Strauss, who oversees Comcast’s Xfinity web and cable service, was particularly bullish concerning the 12 months forward. He mentioned nearly every part introduced at CES required an web connection, in order that’s the very last thing that folks would lower off. “It’s turn out to be like oxygen,” he mentioned.
How is the web like oxygen? How is know-how generally changing into a part of the air we breathe?
Finally, inform us extra about what you suppose:
— Which of the merchandise and developments on the 2019 CES convention curiosity you most and why? Which are you skeptical of or imagine is perhaps simply hype?
— How do you suppose the know-how showcased at CES will change you and your loved ones’s lives?
— In a associated article, “Devices That Will Invade Your Life in 2019 (and What’s Overhyped),” Mr. Chen writes:
Imagine a future the place you’re by no means actually alone. Even when your partner is on a enterprise journey or your kids are away at summer season camp, you’ll at all times have somebody (or one thing) to speak to. In the morning, you possibly can ask the microwave to warmth up a bowl of oatmeal. In your automobile, you possibly can inform your stereo to placed on some ’90s music. And while you stroll into the workplace, you possibly can ask your smartphone, “What’s on my calendar right this moment?”
Do you suppose the developments of 2019 — notably associated to synthetic intelligence — symbolize a optimistic change for society? Do you suppose a future the place you’re by no means alone is sweet?