Learning With: ‘It’s a Briefcase! It’s a Pizza Box! No, It’s a Mini Satellite’
Before studying the article:
Have you ever wished to construct one thing that may very well be launched into outer house?
Well, now you’ll be able to.
On Nov. 10, a CubeSat satellite tv for pc designed by college students from six excessive colleges in Irvine, Calif., was launched into orbit.
Watch this two-minute NASA video, “What Is a CubeSat?”
What are CubeSat Satellites and what benefits have they got over the normal, bigger ones? Why do you suppose colleges and universities are enthusiastic about CubeSat know-how?
Now, learn the article, “It’s a Briefcase! It’s a Pizza Box! No, It’s a Mini Satellite,” and reply the next questions:
1. What is the Planet Labs firm? How had been its tiny satellites in a position to assist the authorities decide that the California wildfires had been totally contained? Why had been bigger, industrial satellites unable to perform this?
2. In addition to offering beneficial data on environmental disasters, what different functions have mini satellites been used for?
three. How large had been our earliest satellites? How small can they be as we speak? What benefits do smaller satellites provide, in comparison with larger ones?
four. Which two nations have dominated the house age? The article argues that, with the appearance of the mini satellite tv for pc, “Outer house is being democratized.” Explain how.
5. How did the 2007 iPhone affect mini satellite tv for pc growth?
6. Scientists say they don’t imagine mini satellites will fully exchange bigger ones. Why not? Where do these smaller satellites fall brief?
7. The article quotes Will Marshall, the chief government of Planet Labs:
“We’re house geeks,” Mr. Marshall, the corporate’s head, conceded. But the purpose, he added, was not simply to reinvent the age however to study “how one can use this know-how for good.”
What does he imply by this assertion? How are firms and nations like SpaceX and Ghana reimagining using satellites as a drive for good? What potentialities are most attention-grabbing to you?
Finally, inform us extra about what you suppose:
— What is your response to the information that different college students have launched a satellite tv for pc? Brent Freeze, an aerospace specialist who suggested the highschool college students in California, mentioned he “appreciated to consider the endeavor as reviving the lure of the unknowns.” What does this assertion imply? Does studying this text make you need to discover the unknowns of the universe? Why?
— Would you need to design and construct satellites at your faculty? Make the case (for instance, write a letter or put together a presentation) to your faculty leaders to associate with NASA to design and make one.
— The college students from the six excessive colleges in Irvine, Calif., designed and constructed their CubeSat to review the planet Venus. If you had been to construct a satellite tv for pc, what would you need to research and why?