Learning With: ‘Their Plans Derailed by a Wildfire, Seniors at Paradise High School Wonder What’s Next’
Before studying the article:
What have you learnt in regards to the latest wildfires in California? (You can learn an outline right here.) Were you or anybody you recognize affected by the fires?
Watch this two-minute video: “‘We Lost Everything’: Surveying the Camp Fire’s Destruction.”
What do you think about are the challenges that individuals of Paradise, Calif., face after their houses and neighborhood have been destroyed? What particular challenges would possibly youngsters of Paradise face?
Now, learn the article, “Their Plans Derailed by a Wildfire, Seniors at Paradise High School Wonder What’s Next,” and reply the next questions:
1. The Paradise High School constructing is cordoned off in an evacuation zone. Where is the college briefly housed? How do circumstances within the momentary faculty make studying tough for Paradise college students?
2. The article particulars many challenges college students face in making an attempt to finish their senior yr. What are three typical senior-year actions which were disrupted by the hearth?
three. Gabe Price, the captain of his observe staff, worries about how he can pay for school. How did the hearth have an effect on his school plans?
four. How have the college district and the larger neighborhood supplied help for the scholars to complete their senior yr?
5. Elie Wylie mentioned: “The Camp Fire tore up extra than simply my city; it took away my peace of thoughts. Everything for the remainder of my life goes to be affected by this.” What does Ms. Wylie imply by this assertion? What are her goals for her future, and the way has the hearth threatened them?
6. Julionna Keers lives in Magalia, a city up the street from Paradise that narrowly escaped heavy injury. The article says she is “affected by survivor’s guilt.” What is survivor’s guilt? What is she doing to cope with it?
7. The article describes the Paradise neighborhood earlier than the hearth as “tight-knit.” What strengths of the neighborhood are evident regardless of the very tough circumstances?
Finally, inform us extra about what you assume:
— What is your response to the article? What is your response to the struggles and the resiliency of the seniors at Paradise High School?
— Several youngsters are profiled within the article. Which seniors do you most join or establish with and why? If you have been their buddy, what would possibly you provide as help or recommendation?
— Often when pure disasters happen — hurricanes, earthquakes, floods or fires — we hear in regards to the quick destruction, however don’t see the human impression a month, six months or a yr later. Why do you assume you will need to write and skim a follow-up story like this one?
— Have you ever confronted a serious disruption in your life? Has your loved ones ever confronted a problem that upended regular life? How did you attempt to cope with the state of affairs?